On June 4, 2007, Genesis undergoes a zero date on the Turn It On Again Tour, in front of 250 guests at the Brussels Expo Center. Here are the videos of that general rehearsal.
To insiders the band immediately looks a little rusty and it is evident that he needed to slow down or simplify some steps. But the tour will eventually be a success.
On May 12 the Genesis had received the VH1 Rock Honors, at the Mandalay Bay Resort in Las Vegas in the USA. Their had been there first electric public appearance with Collins for 14 years. It is indeed from Cowdray Concert September 18, 1993, last concert with Phil that didn't show up together.
Here is the video of the event, with the unforgettable introduction by Robin Williams:
With the Turn It On Again Tour (which touched Rome on 14 July)the curtain has fallen on the glorious history of the Genesis live.
Our human rights organization @witnessorg has been helping groups monitoring police violence & I hope these protests will not only lead to the addressing of the problems at the root of this, but also encourage a worldwide look at how each country is dealing with racism ... (2/3)
... and religious persecution within their own borders.
Politicians are trying to win support by fueling nationalism and racism for their own gain. If we don't like the way things are going we have to speak out and act. The world can only be what we choose to make it.
- pg (3/3)
The LP was mastered at half speed by Matt Colton at Metropolis Mastering.
In the United States, vinyl was printed by Record Technology Inc, while vinyl for the rest of the world is printed by Optimal.
«We know that many of you have wondered what happened to this release, but, as for the "Book of Love", the reasons for the delay are long and boring. Suffice it to say that we are sorry for the wait. » is written on the Peter Gabriel website.
«Here is my latest fan beans Genesis track chat - this time on The Musical Box. Stay safe and enjoy! " Steve Hackett from Twitter:
«Here is my latest fan beans Genesis chat track video, this time on Ripples. " Steve Hackett on Facebook:
"Here is my latest Genesis song fan fave track-chat, this time on Supper's Ready»Steve Hackett from Twitter:
«Here's my latest chat-track video on your favorite Genesis songs. This time it's The Cinema Show ... Enjoy! Stay safe everyone ... Warmest wishes to all. " Steve Hackett from Facebook.
"Thank you everyone for your feedback on favorite solo and Genesis tracks. I've been through hundreds of responses! Initially, I'm doing a series on your top ten Genesis tracks. This is the first one, chat-track on Firth of Fifth. I hope you enjoy! Stay safe, and warmest wishes to all. " Steve Hackett from Facebook.
Shadow of the Hierophant:
Please don't touch:
Nomads off Out of the Tunnels's Mouth:
Shadow and Flame:
Those Golden Wings:
The Hungry Years:
Steve also told the Genesis Selling England By The Pound album online from his home.
The interview is part of the Classic Albums At Home Sunday program, events that have arisen since the blockade in the UK.
On the occasion of the 40th anniversary, Peter Gabriel released this rare 'Games Without Frontiers' movie recorded live in Buenos Aires in 2009.
On May 28, 2020, Peter released this video which takes up an interview made in 2002 for the release of the re-mastered CD. Gabriel talks about the realization of his third self-titled album, called melt because of the iconic cover image, created by Storm Thorgerson of Studio Hipgnosis.
And here are 10 reasons to listen to this album again.
1. It 's Gabriel' s album with a lot of studs prestigious guests, like the manufacturer Steve Lillywhite and the guitarist Dave gregory (I Don't Remember e Family Snapshot) of XTC, the beginning of the long collaboration with David Rhodes, the old friend Phil Collins and the percussionist Morris Pert (Intruder e No Self Control), the new employee Kate Bush (No Self Control e Games Without Frontiers), the English saxophonist Dick Morissey (Start), Paul Weller, then leader of the Operational (And Through The Wire).
2. For the first time Peter used thedrum machine (Games Without Frontiers e Biko, in particular) and has experienced that particular sound on drums, with the gated reverb, that characterizes Intruder, used the year after by Phil Collins for In The Air Tonight. A sound that has become a standard model for much of the English pop of the eighties.
3.Phil Collins was initially skeptical about the idea of not using dishes at all. But Peter was immovable, since he could take advantage of the high tones with a whole new set of sounds, a variety of fields to explore. Paradoxically, Gabriel was accused of plagiarizing Collins when In The Air Tonight has had worldwide success.
4. Gabriel was one of the first musicians to use theFairlight, a revolutionary synthesizer that sampled natural sounds. Peter even became its distributor in England, in partnership with a cousin. In the disc we also find new sounds for the rock groove (post-progressive) in which it is still located, such as the xylophone (Intruder), the sax (Start), the marimba (No Self Control e Lead A Normal Life), the bagpipes, the drums surdu and original South African choirs (Biko).
5.Family Snapshot is inspired by the bookAn Assassin's Diary (A diary of a murderer) by Arthur Bremer, a text that also inspired the screenwriter of the film Taxi Driver di Martin Scorsese. But another book, Dispatches, whose photos suggested some verses to Gabriel Games Without Frontiers, created quite a few censorship issues with the BBC.
6. The album seems to have a common thread of psychological deviance, addressing issues like it stalking (Intruder), schizophrenia and paranoia (No Self Control), removal (I Don't Remember), bad media influence (Family Snapshot), the absence of communication (And Through The Wire), mental illness (Lead A Normal Life). But the "political" aspect is also important. Peter takes a stand against the war (Games Without Frontiers), fear of the "other" (Not One Of Us), L 'apartheid (Biko).
7. Davide Castellini in The songs of Peter Gabriel, Editori Riuniti, points out that there are many negative expressions in titles and texts (No., no, Note, neverwithout). Peter himself had noticed, so much so that, always quoted by Castellini, he was afraid of "turn the album into a sermon to a child, full of not doing this, not doing that".
8.Gabriel was unsure whether to publish or not Biko in the disc. Despite his sincerity towards the topic, he feared that he was not a valid voice for a cause so geographically and socially distant from him. In addition, the story of Steven Biko had already been told in various songs, including A Motor Bike In Africa di Peter Hammill, his friend, collaborator, and neighbor in Bath.
9.Biko is then inserted in the album at the insistence of his friend Tom Robinson. "It was a keystone in my career as a musician and lyricist", says Gabriel, quoted by Mario Giammetti in Peter Gabriel. Not one of us, Editions sign. Indeed, Peter's journey towards the commitment to civil rights begins, which will see him in all the events that the world of music will organize to raise awareness of the planet.
10. For the cover, fourth and final collaboration with the Hipgnosis studio and its founder Storm Thorgerson. Through the technique called Krimsography, invented by the American Les Krim, a Polaroid with the portrait of Peter is manipulated with an eraser on the still fresh emulsion. And the effect melt, in fact, which gives the album the informal title, it's done.
Big names including Morgan Freeman, Carlos Santana, @SantanaCarlos, Jane Fonda and, in fact, Peter Gabriel attended Thursday 28 May at the livestream benefit for the Amazon region, which in Brazil has been particularly affected by COVID.
JEFF BRIDGES PETER GABRIEL
ED BEGLEY, JR.
RACHELLE CARSON BEGLEY
CHLOE SMITH (RISING APPALACHIA)
... AND MANY MORE!
This website stores cookies on your computer. These cookies are used to provide a more personalized experience and track your whereabouts around our website in compliance with the European General Data Protection Regulation. If you decide to opt-out of any future tracking, a cookie will be ready to use.OkNoRead More