A possible birthday. During the Easter holidays, the day that in 1967 was celebrated on March 26, i future Genesis they registered theirs first demo. Even so began their story 50 years ago.
di Musical Box
The demo contained the following tracks:
Here are seven milestones of their adventure that make them (almost) unique:
1) Stage panic. Anthony Phillips' abandonment of Genesis has this (official) explanation. After the common attendance of the Charterhouse School, the sacrifices of the beginning and the publication of the first two albums, From Genesis To Revelation e Trespass, Ant can no longer cope with the many live commitments. But music remains his passion and his first solo album, The Geese and the Ghost, published in 1977, seven years later, it is the first of a series of great works. Before leaving the Genesis, however, he inherits a masterpiece. LISTEN:
Listen to it special by Horizons Radio on the "handover" between the two great guitarists of Genesis, Ant & Steve:
2) Peter Gabriel's costumes they made Genesis unique, though not the only ones using masks and disguises on stage. On 28 September 1972 at the Dublin live, Peter on the final The Musical Box appears in the red dress of his wife Jill and her fox mask. The twist begins an era that will lead to great media interest in the band, even if not completely shared by the other members. Watch and listen to Horizons Radio specials.
3) Just when it seems that Genesis are destined for growing success and have made their most ambitious album, the concept The lamb Lies Down On Broadway, comes the second sensational abandonment. Peter Gabriel, the leader, the frontman, who became the symbol of the band (despite the collective ambitions of the other members) on May 22, 1975, goes on stage for the last time and leaves the group. A rare case, then, but one that has made school.
4) The release of Peter Gabriel could mean the end of the band. But this did not happen and the choice to continue was unanimous. But who would take on the delicate role of frontman? Also in this case Genesis amazed everyone and after several afterthoughts the choice fell on Phil Collins, as we know. Read the articles of Horizons Radio on this delicate passage:
5) At this point Phil could have been quite busy (and satisfied) between the Genesis voice and drums. Here it is instead start sensationally a new adventure: i Brand X. On June 18, 1976 he left Unorthodox Behavior the first album of the rock-jazz band, as it was called, with Collins on drums. LISTEN:
6) With A Trick Of The Tail e Wind & Wuthering Genesis seem to have re-established themselves and on the road to a quiet career, even if the air of punk is blowing away a lot of prog bands. But here's another sensational and rare turn. Steve Hackett leaves the group, officially exasperated by the poor acceptance of the pieces he composed. Inside and Out it is a significant example, since it was intended to be included in Wind & Wuthering, but met with opposition from Collins and Banks. The Genesis lose with their great guitarist. LISTEN TO THE SPECIAL OF HORIZONS RADIO about him:
7) Do you know a band that, despite having been abandoned by a former member of its own, with the subsequent risk of dissolution, after about 7 years, to help the former partner in financial difficulty, agrees to organize a supportive reunion, to which the other element, who left the group about 5 years earlier, also adheres? The Genesis have made it (perhaps) unique in the world. LISTEN TO THE SPECIAL OF HORIZONS RADIO:
These are obviously my milestones, the ones that make Genesis unique in their 50 years since the beginning of their adventure.
Tell me yours at the email email@example.com.
© Musical Box